The next people caricatured will be this lovely couple. The boy, Bert, is the brother of one of my closest friends. Over time, he also became a good friend of mine.The girl, Karina (or Karrie for short), is his girlfriend, a very open and outgoing an (who wears a giant Pikachu costume while going to the movies). They’re two lovely people, and my next victims for this blog.
As for the theme, I decided upon this through some constant realisation I still have to see the new seasons of Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Legend of Korra (sequel to Nickelodeon’s Avatar: The Last Airbender). In the past, when I came home from school, I’d often find myself in the cough and watching some cartoons. This cartoon always popped up. I’ve often imagined in the day “What would I do as a waterbender”. I always had a fascination for water or ice in these kind of universes, so in my fantasies as a kid, I was the strongest ‘icebender’, master martial artist, demanding respect from all around me. Those were some fun times…
So, I decided to make these two into benders. Having two of the same kind is a bit boring, and I really wanted to get the waterbender in there. So why not add a firebender (it really was a tough choice though). Something I noticed when I was researching these pictures, were some very simple characteristics:
- Firebenders always wear something red, if possible as the dominating factor in their clothing
- Waterbenders have blue/white clothes
- Both fire- and waterbending are based certain forms of martial arts. Waterbending is based on Taijiquan or Tai Chi (which most people know for health, but is also a defence-oriented martial art). Firebending is (mostly) based on the Northern Shaolin style of Kung Fu. So I’ll need to make sure I make at least an attempt towards a certain position of these two martial art styles!
First off, when we check their picture, we can notice following things:
- Karina has long, black hair with dark brown reflections. In this case, I went for a dark brown hair color.
- She has a silver necklace with black strings
- Karrie has a pretty round, yet small face.
- Karrie has cat-green eyes (light in center, gets darker outside). A very important characteristic for her.)
- She has a white T-shirt with a blue shape, top line near breast height. The inner side of the blue shape seems irregular. I assume that the entire shape is a square/rectangle.
- Karina is way smaller compared to Bert
- Bert’s hair is black, cowlick to the left, hairs on his forehead pointing to the left
- Dark green eyes
- Especially compared to Karina, Bert’s got a more square-ish face. The difference needs to be clear in the caricature as well.
- When comparing both, Karrie has much finer eyebrows compared to Bert.
- Bert has a much lighter skin tone compared to Karina.
Armed with these characteristics, let’s make some elemental benders! I’ll start with the face of Karina, the water bender.